St. Cecelia Parish Algona, Iowa

St. Cecelia Parish

Algona, Iowa

The actual organization of St. Cecelia's occurred in 1872 when the first church was built. The church stood approximately at the intersection of Diagonal with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. The building of the railroad necessitated removal to its present site on East North Street.

The early parish was serviced by the pastor of Corpus Christi Church in Fort Dodge. In 1880 the first resident pastor, Father McCaffrey, was assigned to St. Cecelia's. The second St. Cecelia's Church, a wooden structure with six stained glass windows on each side, was built in front of the site of the present church in 1892 at a cost of $9,052.44. St. Cecelia's Academy was built next to the church in 1928, and on the parish's golden jubilee in 1932, the Georgian colonial rectory was dedicated.

Over time the parish continued to grow. By1948 there were 1600 members and 400 families. A new convent was dedicated in 1951 at a cost of $110,000. Construction of the new church began in 1953, and the dedication took place September 9, 1954. Also under the tenure of Monsignor Garen (1948 - 1969), an addition was built to St. Cecelia's School, St. Ann's Hospital was built, and Garrigan High School was opened.

St. Cecelia's Academy issued diplomas until 1959, when the secondary grades merged into Garrigan High School. St. Cecelia's and St. Joseph School in Bode merged in 1969, and the blended school was named after St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in 1981. A new addition to the Algona school was opened in 1991, and all students in Grades K - 8 from all area parishes were consolidated in Algona at Seton Grade School.

In the early 21st Century St. Cecelia's Church was completely renovated. The modern church serves approximately 1,100 area families and is one of the largest churches in the Sioux City Diocese.. Today St. Cecelia's is a blend of past and present. Our heritage is a proud one that touches all members of the parish.

St. Cecelia Parish Website

http://www.stceceliaalgona.com/

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.